Thursday 4 June 2009

Audio Journal : 01/06/2009

Listening selections this week have been driven by a box that I hauled down from our loft, containing a bunch of CDs I haven't listened to in some cases for over a decade. The box represents a microcosm of my total music collection, containing electronica, industrial, pop and leftfield rock.

Consequently my ears have found themselves being subjected to all sorts of eclectic combinations this past week. I started the week listening to old singles from Moby (see the David Lynch-directed video for new track, the typically different 'Shot In The Back Of The Head' here)
, which means I've filled my brain with house, techno, gospel-sampling breakbeat stuff, jungle and thrash metal - all styles Moby has employed over the years.

I then found a batch of Warp Records releases from the likes of The Sabres Of Paradise. I haven't listened to the genre of music that was, briefly, referred to as 'trip hop' for a while so listening to the Sabres' Versus, with mixes by J Saul Kane and Chemical Brothers was quite refreshing. Head Sabre Andy Weatherall's Two Lone Swordsmen project appears to still be up and running and some tracks can be listened to here. Listening to the two Kane remixes reminded me of when my good friend Neil and I went to see him DJ at Colchester Arts Centre, only to leave bemusedly after about an hour.

I also took a listen to the classic Surfing On Sinewaves by Polygon Window (AKA Richard D James AKA Aphex Twin - listen to classic tracks here
), which as crunchy hybrid techno goes is rarely surpassed.

Finally, after some hesitation I listened to the album Messy Century by Mountaineers (read my original review here
) and decided that, after going off it for a while, it's actually a really, really good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment