Saturday 31 August 2013

Audio Journal: 30/08/2013 - David Byrne & St. Vincent, MuteResponse

David Byrne & St. Vincent, The Roundhouse 27/08/2013
Source and copyright: Rachel Lipsitz for Clash
One recurring artist throughout the history of my Audio Journal blog has been former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne, who I even went so far as to say I had something of an 'artistic crush' on, a comment that I'm still reluctant to retract.

Byrne was in London earlier this week for a one-off show at the Roundhouse with St. Vincent (Annie Clark), with whom he recorded the brass-soaked Love This Giant released by 4AD last year. Despite a couple of previous attempts on my part to catch Byrne in concert, for one reason or another it's never happened. The closest I've come to seeing him in the flesh was last year at the Curzon cinema in Chelsea where he and Matthew Herbert engaged in an earnest debate about the health of what we used to call the music industry; prior to that it was a live video-link chat with Paul Morley from Brixton to accompany a screening of his Ride, Rise, Roar tour documentary, which I watched in a tiny room at Leicester Square's Odeon. Finally getting to see him singing this week was therefore something that I was starting to believe was never going to happen.

I was fortunate enough to review the Roundhouse show for Clash. My review, accompanied by some rather excellent photos from Rachel Lipsitz, can be found here. Byrne and Clark have released a free EP to accompany their tour, featuring some live tracks (including the Talking Heads classic 'Road To Nowhere'), remixes and an unreleased song from the Love This Giant sessions. The Brass Tactics EP can be downloaded below in exchange for your email address.



A few posts back I mentioned that listening to Byrne's conversation with Matthew Herbert had inspired me to start a project called MuteResponse in tribute to the influence of my favourite record label (Mute) and to celebrate ten years of writing my Documentary Evidence website.


MuteResponse will take the form of a twenty-two track double download compilation and will be released in the Autumn. Earlier this week I premiered the first track from the album, which will feature a number of artists similarly inspired by Mute's legacy. 'Clues In The Rain' by Rupert Lally and Espen J. Jörgensen - the first track that I received for inclusion on the project after a campaign for contributions - can be heard below, or head here if you're reading this on email. The full tracklist for MuteResponse will be announced soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment